A Travellerspoint blog

New Zealand: The family hit Queenstown

sunny 2 °C
View Babez on Round the World Tour 2010 on noodz4loz's travel map.

Following the previous night, we decided that in order for Donna to survive her bungy jump, Jules to survive her Canyon Swing and Laura to survive watching Donna's bungy jump, another Fergburger was in order. Timing as essential so we grasped our "food window" with both hands and head straight to Fergburger for breakfast/lunch. Deciding this wasn't enough, we also head to a lovely pub for mulled wine. This seemed to do the trick and waving goodbye to Jules (hopefully not for the last time), we went to the bungy centre exactly on time in the hope that we could jump straight on the bus. How wrong we were. Donna was delighted when she was weighed for the bungy jump and her weight written on her hand in indelible ink, and equally pleased when she was told that the shuttle to the jump would be half an hour. Laura was thrilled as she got writing on her hand as a spectator, but was convinced people would think she had done the jump as well. Donna had to sit through half an hour of watching all the AJ Hackett jump footage with Laura freaking out that she couldn't cope with watching.

Eventually the shuttle arrived. We were then informed that it was a 45 minute ride to Nevis and that we could use the time to 'think about what you've signed up for'. The worst part was driving past Laura's bridge bungy jump, Karawa Bridge, for the next day, which taller from a distance...the blue water had been deceptive the day before, and being told that Nevis was three and a half times higher. Happy days. We were thrilled to even make it up the tiny track to Nevis, but realised that if we had survived the trip to Louang Phabang, we could survive this. While Donna was being strapped into her harness, we realised that our bus was taking the London boys back after their jump. Laura ran up to talk to them, only to recieve a torrent of abuse for not doing the jump herself. Donna was just pleased to see them all alive. Laura was surprised.

More waiting followed, as it took two carriages before we could go through for Donna's jump. During this time, we were told how to unhook your legs to avoid coming up upside down, and watching in the distance, the majority of people failing to manage to do it and coming up upside down. Laura insisted that Donna should not worry about it and not risk unhooking herself completely and that it wouldn't be that embarassing as most people couldn't handle it, Donna however, remembering that Robyn had suceeded, told Laura that she would rather fall after unhooking herself completely than fail where Robyn had not. Laura being the golden only child could not understand sibling rivalry.

We then were sent over to the Nevis highwire capsule chatting to another girl who was jumping, she was from New Zealand. Laura was quite surprised when she was asked if she too was from New Zealand herself...Donna hadn't even realised. Laura tried her best to be there for Donna, taking lots of pictures to 'document' the experience and exclaimed when Flo Rida, Low, came on, that it was a great sign and Donna would definitely survive. All too soon, it was Donna's turn and Laura got in position to take photos. Laura, who was right beside Donna every step of the way, got chattin to the bungy guy who asked her why she wasn't doing it...she said that she was too chicken to do Nevis, but would be doing the bridge jump the next day. He then unhelpfully declared that this would be much worse as you are far closer to the bottom so you can see it all that bit clearer. Meanwhile Donna was pushed out onto the tiniest ledge in the world, afraid to look down for fear she wouldn't jump and not being so impressed to be pushed out further, especially when the weight went over the edge giving an unpleasant tug. They don't let you fanny about on the edge though so after 3, 2, 1 bungy, she jumped. Laura did an excellent job filming and you can hear a loud 'WOO' in the video that Donna is not dead. Having being brought back up the RIGHT way round, Donna showed zero self-restraint and bought everything, photos and video, this could possibly have been because she was shaking so much she pressed the wrong button on the screen...

We made it back to Queenstown and were really pleased to discover it was the first night of the Winterfest with fireworks, cinammon doughnuts and more mulled wine. After which, Donna felt the need to go out as she was still buzzing from her jump and Laura and Jules deciding they needed an early night as they needed the rest before their sensibly timed 9am bungy jump...

All of us got up early, Donna, Charlotte and Totes in a photographer capacity and this time, Laura and Jules as the jumpers. It was Donna's turn to feel nervous as Laura had done a great job filming her jump, she felt the pressure to do the same. We arrived at the freezing cold Karawa Bridge first thing and Laura was also thrilled to be weighed next to Jules, who weighs as much as a bag full of air. She was not happy to weigh less than Donna (but continued to eat pies for breakfast for the rest of her time in New Zealand). Donna, Charlotte and Totes took up their position at the side to get the best pictures leaving Laura and Jules to be strapped up alone. Having watched the girl before them jump feet first - a big no no when you're attached by your ankles, Laura and Jules were thrilled that they had spent so much time practising their bungy jump whilst drunk, insisiting they would not do this. Neither of them were thrilled to learn that the person attaching them was a trainee, but Laura suddenly felt confident when she realised it was Donna's guy training him and that he recognised her. This bungy jump isn't such a conveyor belt, so unfortunately for Laura and Jules, there was time for jokes. They made their way to the edge, Laura convinced that her harness had loosened and insisting it was double checked. The trainee then told them that it would be 5 4 3 2 1 bungy. They were not happy about this having spent hours practising 1 2 3 bungy, confident this would be how they would do it. All this time, Jules was still clinging on to the bridge and was told that she needed to remove her hands. Donna, at the bottom, could hear all the numbers happening on the bridge and was increasingly nervous that she would miss the actual jump. Finally ready, Laura and Jules counting down, annoyed at the random numbers the two staff members were shouting at them. After much hesitation they finally jumped and had an emotional hug at the bottom.

Now everyone was buzzing, so we head back to town, just in time for the Winterfest street carnival. Laura and Charlotte ran around like mad men trying to get pictures with every character in sight, Laura was thrilled to meet Ronald McDonald for the first time in her life. Funnily enough, the only picture the other girls got involved with was with a fireman. After this we went to investigate luging, but decided that following all the photo package purchases we'd made from the bungy jumps, we didn't go as we should probably save money...unfortunately we were left with Charlotte and Totes, and this was not possible. We all spotted a Kiwi Sanctuary and decided we'd see how cheap it was, before going in to waste time. Charlotte thought she was being subtle, when the ticket lady's head was turned, to force us through the doors without puchasing a ticket. Having spent approximately ten minutes walking round discussing how shit it was and noting all the cages with broken fences and after walking out of an incredibly boring Kiwi feeding, we decided to leave. Unsurprisingly, the ticket lady caught us on the way out telling us that we had to buy a ticket, costing approximately ten dollars more than luging would have. Luckily she gave us a student discount and we saved about 2 pounds. Laura would not stop reminding Charlotte that she owed us money, which was never repayed and attempted to reclaim payment in kind by stealing Charlotte's Blackberry cover. She noticed and stole it back before we left much to Laura's dismay.

That night was another heavy Queenstown night at Winnie's, ending of course, with a Fergburger. The next day, we were all up stupidly early to head to Milford Sound on a day trip. It was stunning and the tour guide was hilarious and resulting in both of us confessing that the Maori accent is by far our favourite in the world. On our boat trip, we had an amazing buffet lunch included and were both understandably furious when an entire Indian family pushed in front of us, deciding to push in front of them on both sides of the buffet. We later discovered the second half of it was their own private buffet and it was in fact us who had pushed in front of them stealing their food. The dahl was lovely. We were both ecstatic to see huge dolphins following our boat the whole way. One of the highlights was a waterfall which had us all convinced that we would crash into as we seemed to be edging towards it disturbingly fast, and with us being at the front of the boat, managing to all get soaked. Halfway through, we went down to an underwater observatory which just made us sad that we couldn't go diving, although Donna wasn't too unhappy given that the water was freezing. The journey back was very entertaining, we know that Charlotte will not be laughing when she reads this, but Luke had saved her purse earlier in the day without her realising (which we all knew) and was frustrated that she still hadn't realised it was gone. When she was freaking out, none of us were too sympathetic with Laura delcaring over Charlotte's laughter that it really wasn't a funny situation, and reminding her that she still owed us money for the Kiwi fiasco...she would not be let off. Eventually she went to ask a member of staff and we used the opportunity to take a picture of Luke and her purse on her camera, telling her on her return that she should look at the pictures from the day to cheer herself up...needless to say after the initial relief, she was not impressed. That night, we had a goodbye meal with Jules. picking three new Fergburgers to split, which was fantastic. We then decided to stay up until 2am to watch England Vs. Germany, what an error. Laura was thrilled the next morning when she was told that she inadvertently did the right thing by not getting up from her 'nap' and missing the whole thing.

We had to be up early the next morning to get our bus to Christchurch with the London boys....the official end of the family. A tragic feeling...and we still miss them terribly.

Posted by noodz4loz 01:16 Archived in New Zealand Tagged family_travel

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.